ERRC Seeks Legal Trainee
5 September 2012
The European Roma Rights Centre (ERRC) seeks a legal trainee from Macedonia, Serbia or Turkey for a two-year legal traineeship to assist in litigating Roma rights, ethnic/race discrimination and related cases in domestic, European and international tribunals and to organise training sessions for Central and East European lawyers in public interest litigation strategies and techniques.
The legal trainee programme is designed to provide young lawyers with the training and skills needed to launch a career in litigation and related legal advocacy on rights issues affecting Roma communities.
Based in Budapest, the trainee:
- will work with the legal team under supervision of one or more of its lawyers to assist in developing and implementing legal strategy, handling selected cases, drafting amicus curiae briefs and legal submissions to domestic and international tribunals, working with lawyers, judges, human rights organisations and other relevant institutions;
- may also be involved in legislative and policy review and drafting, advocacy and lobbying;
- will also provide appropriate substantive input into research reports, donor reports and funding proposals.
- law degree (preferably from Macedonia, Serbia or Turkey);
- a demonstrable commitment to human rights;
- an understanding of human rights norms and their enforcement mechanisms at the regional and international levels, including familiarity with the European Convention and Court of Human Rights, European Social Charter and Committee of Social Rights, and UN Treaty bodies;
- knowledge of Roma rights related issues in Europe;
- significant experience living in or working with Romani communities;
- good working knowledge of English.
- proficiency in Romani language and/or other language(s) of European countries with a significant Romani population;
- masters degree in human rights law or a related field;
- knowledge of legal systems of Central/Eastern Europe;
- prior work experience with public interest organisations focusing on human rights.
- two-year contract with an annual salary of 5,040,000 HUF gross. ERRC also offers a fringe benefit package
PLACE OF WORK:
Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, salary history, together with an English-language legal writing sample and a list of two referees by email, to:
Hajnalka Nemeth, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mark the subject line: Name Surname – legal trainee.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS:
As soon as possible and latest by 30 September 2012.
All applicants will be notified of our receipt of application; only selected applicants will be contacted. Short-listed candidates will be required to attend a formal interview. The job offer will be conditional upon the receipt of satisfactory references.
The ERRC is committed to equal opportunity for all. Romani candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.