Roma Rights Summer School 2022: Call for Applications
13 June 2022
The European Roma Rights Centre (ERRC), in co-operation with the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights - Contact Point for Roma and Sinti Issues, is pleased to accept applications for the return of the highly acclaimed Roma Rights Summer School. The Summer School will be organised in Budapest, Hungary from 1st August 2022 to 11th August 2022.
The ten-day training program has been organised especially for young activists and students of Roma, Sinti, and Traveller origin from all European countries.1 The Summer School will offer an introduction to human rights and human rights monitoring, as well as a forum for the exchange of ideas, innovation, and expertise for participants who are at an early stage in their careers.
The Summer School offers participants a chance to immerse themselves into the theory and practice of human rights, minority rights, and non-discrimination, to gain practical skills, and benefit from the knowledge and experience of committed human rights experts. This intensive programme includes a variety of social activities which will allow participants to network with each other and the experts, ensuring the programme is instructive and enjoyable.
The main goal of the Summer School is to engage and develop a new generation of Roma human rights activists to use international, regional, and domestic human rights instruments and mechanisms to advance the rights of Roma, and to combat racism and discrimination from grassroots to governmental levels.
Many alumni of the ERRC Roma Rights Summer School have gone on to become experts in their field, researchers, and professional activists working to improve the situation of Roma across Europe. After nearly a ten year absence, we are thrilled to be able to offer this opportunity once again, and are proud to support the development of a new generation of dedicated human rights professionals.
Requirements for applicants:
- Applicants must have a sufficient command of English to enable them to participate actively in the Summer School, as the working language will be English.
- As training aiming to provide opportunities for Roma activists, applicants must belong to one of the ethnic groups listed at the bottom of this call.
- Applicants are preferably students of law, public administration, or social sciences, or degree-holders in one of these fields. We also invite applications from activists who have not completed or are not currently in formal higher education, but have several years of relevant work experience.
- Particular importance is given to the participation of Roma women, as well as of people belonging to other groups who are at risk of intersectional discrimination.
Deadline for applications: Sunday 26th June 2022, 23:59 CET
Interested applicants should submit the following to email@example.com.
- A letter of interest explaining their motivation for applying (no more than one page).
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- A description of a human rights issue that the participant is aware of and would like to challenge (no more than two paragraphs).
Due to the expected high number of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We aim to contact selected applicants within 10 days of the application deadline. If you have not been contacted by us in this time, you should consider your application to be unsuccessful. Please note that the email address firstname.lastname@example.org is unmonitored, therefore any emails sent to this address will not be answered.